Spartan Spotlight

CI: Think-Pair-Share in 5th Grade Reading

Students in Dr. McManus’ Class did an activity using the Think/Pair/Share strategy. They have read The Titanic and used this story as the basis for the activity. “Popsicle Sticks” were used to pair students. There was Partner A and Partner B. Each student had a script that guided their reading assignment and discussion questions. Most of this is done verbally. It also encourages them to read with expression, intonation, an appropriate speed, and paying attention to punctuation, and phrasing. The kids really enjoyed pairing up with someone different and the freedom to move along at their own pace.

This is a collaborative learning strategy where students work together to solve a problem or answer a question about an assigned reading. This strategy requires students to (1) think individually about a topic or answer to a question; and (2) share ideas with classmates.

In this strategy, a problem is posed, students have time to think about it individually, and then they work in pairs to solve the problem and share their ideas with the class.  Think-Pair-Share is an easy strategy to use for spur-of-the-moment discussions.  This strategy can be used for a wide variety of daily classroom activities such as concept reviews, discussion questions, partner reading, brainstorming, quiz reviews, topic development, etc.  Think-Pair-Share helps students understand a topic, develop the ability to filter information and draw conclusions, and develop the ability to consider other points of view.

Bixby Public School's news hotspot