Spartan Spotlight

Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

Tom Powers is a person who believes “loving someone doesn’t mean you always say ‘yes’.” Needless to say after quoting something like that, he is a wise man. That’s why he and Bixby Public School’s gifted education students are a great match.

Powers teaches 4th – 6th grade students advanced curriculum ranging in topic from science (intimidating science at that) to social studies and creative writing. Imagine being able to go from teaching computer animation and HTML coding in morning to creative writing in the afternoon and then wrapping up your day teaching Newton’s laws to 6th graders and being successful at them all… You can see why we have the pleasure of honoring Powers with October’s Teacher of the Month award.

On top of having a broad range of teaching skills that stem from a Master’s in Education Psychology, Powers also has a heart of gold that gets richer with each student who he helps succeed. His favorite teaching moments are when a student comes full circle and asks “Do you remember me?” Those are the moments he gets to say, “Of course I do,” and reminisce on the moments in his classrooms that made them both think, learn and grow.

When he isn’t helping enrich the next generation of thinkers, doers and leaders, he enjoys theater. He has a wide variety of roles under his belt, including Grandpa Joe in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and characters in A Wonderful Life and A Charlie Brown Christmas. You can watch his thespian skills in action when his theater group, Encore Tulsa, performs. He also has wife of 42 years, a daughter and grandkids.

It’s all these things that make him a force in the classroom and a joy to speak with. To add to his effectiveness teaching young minds, we are gifting Powers with a multitude of items he can use primarily in science education. From green energy kits to weights and scales that help him teach those Newtonian physics we mentioned earlier, we are glad to reward Power’s hard work with things he would have likely bought himself (he even had a list of items to get before we contacted him.)

It’s one of the ways we can say thank you to Tom Powers and all the teachers who work each day to help our kids learn and grow into the people they aspire to be. You all inspire those kids and us in the process.

Article Credits: Tulsa Hyundai
http://www.tulsahyundai.com/bixby-teacher-of-the-month-october.htm

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

District Programs

Bridge the Gap Golf Tournament to be held June 25, 2018

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

District Programs

Superintendent’s Transition Letter

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

District Programs

2018 Summer Meal Program Begins May 29th

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

District Programs

BPS Closes School for Teacher Walk-out

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

District Programs

Bixby Launches Superintendent Search with Community Survey

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

Community

Board of Education Seat #3 Opening

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

City of Bixby

Sparta Gala Jan. 27th, 2018

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

Community

PLAC Legislative Advocacy Night, Jan. 29th

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

Athletics

The BHS Baseball team hosts Buddy Baseball event.

• Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers

District Programs

BPS Transportation Now on Remind!

Bixby Public School's news hotspot
Tulsa Hyundai Recognizes Tom Powers